Monday, June 20, 2011

Marianne Faithfull the Witch

Aah so this is the blogging I do now that I've finally finished putting my exhibition up.  I found it incredibly hard to find out whether Marianne is still a practicing witch, having only just found out from an article 'Rock's Sympathy for the Devil' in New Dawn Magazine (July - August 2010).

In it, it mentions that on the set of Lucifer Rising in Egypt she 'managed to fall off a mountain.  She somersaulted and landed on her feet without sustaining any injury.  This convinced her that her magic was stronger than (Kenneth) Anger's.'  The article also mentions her studying the Craft with Anita Pallenberg for hours on end reading The White Goddess and studying the ancient Celtic tree alphabet.  Both Faithfull and Mick Jagger were to feature in Lucifer Rising together but he got cold feet and was replaced.

It's not his best film, I managed to drift away with it for a while.  There is very little in this film which I would consider 'evil' whatsoever and Lucifer - whether intended as the light bringer and husband of Diana or as the Christian version is unclear, which I find frustrating.

I'm not sure what to make of how she talks about herself in her video.  The imagery in her music video was taken directly from Haxan Witchcraft Through The Ages (1922). 



No comments: